The position will support our legal department in contract reviews, conducting research, and other tasks in supporting our legal team by performing some of the following tasks, which is not all-inclusive:
- Drafts terms and conditions for subcontracts for Government and commercial programs in addition to negotiating subcontracts;
- Reviews contracts submitted to the company by subcontractors, customers, vendors, and notes areas of discussion for use in negotiation;
- Assists in the management of Workers’ Compensation claims, including the investigation, preparation, reporting, reconciliation and follow through with brokers and underwrites until completion;
- Conducts internal searches for and gathers records and other information in connection with discovery demands made upon the Company by subpoena and other devices in litigation, including requests for discovery, answers to interrogatories, requests for inspection and the like.
- Assists with response to requests for information concerning the Company’s affairs from outside attorneys, environmental consultants, insurance agents, auditors, and governmental agencies and from personnel within the Company.
- Researches title to vessels, files notices of lien in collection matters and files satisfactions of lien following the payment or settlement of obligations secured by liens;
- Prepares first preferred mortgages, promissory notes and accompanying documents in connection with securing debts owed to the Company; etc.
The ideal candidate must have at least (one) 1 year of legal or related experience in addition to a Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school. Must have good communication skills in both written and verbal communication, able to analyze legal documents, have good reasoning skills in addition to being proficient in the use of MS Office applications. Admission to practice law by the Supreme Court of Louisiana is required. Familiarity with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FARs) is preferred.